Skip to main content

Dying for cheap gas

I must call myself on my own mess before I start this particular rant. I have a rather destructive habit in my life. When I am particularly upset or unable to express myself I engage in this habit. I attempt to offset this one habit by doing what I consider to be 10,000 acts of good. However, I know that what I enjoy is detrimental not to myself but to others as well. This habit of mine is long distance car rides. When my cash is low, I supplement these car rides with long distance hikes or bike rides. I assuage my guilt over my habit with recycling initiatives, eating locally whenever possible, monitoring my electricity usage, and volunteering to aid victims of natural disasters. I do my best to keep this habit in check. When gas prices are $4/gal I find it is easier for me to not ride. Even though this is a habit that comforts me greatly, I am willing to let it go to keep my country out of war.

It is amazing to me that just days after a call from the president to tone down things, Sean Hannity is calling for war. He wishes for us to go to war to secure oil. http://thinkprogress.org/2011/01/14/hannity-invade-iraq/ This neo-manifest destiny coming forth from him is indicative of one of the problems with my country. Who are we to demand that someone gives oil to us? In the Christ spirit I ask, what makes us so much better than the Chinese? Do we really wish to give into the same spirit of superiority that claimed the soul of Hitler and destroyed a nation? Would it not be a better usage of our young to encourage them to develop new means of transportation and new fuels than to send them off to fall on the sword of a finite source of fuel? It is amazing that we need to cut our budget but yet someone is calling for war to fuel his SUV and private jet.

Sometimes people become so wrapped up in their own little world that the hint of discomfort forces "stupid" from their mouths. The sad part is the "stupid" that emits from their mouths sometimes fall on the ears of those whose sole purpose in life is to destroy. Those people sit and wait for any word to come along to justify their intent to destroy. It has been 7 days as of today since the Arizona shooting, yet in our minds we have forgotten the lesson of the shooting. When will we stop seeking violence as the means to resolve our issues? I wonder just whose children are Hannity in a rush to put into harms way?

Are the lives of these children worth less than his SUV or private jets? The thoughts of these children, in my view, are worth more than the gas I put into my Ford Ranger. I am not willing to send one child to war so that I may ride even to my mailbox. I am willing to do more than pin a flag to my shirt or a yellow ribbon to my jacket, I am willing to make real sacrifice. I wonder how many others using the airwaves to speak violence into being are willing to do the same?


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/03/AR2010090302200.html

http://usliberals.about.com/od/homelandsecurit1/a/IraqNumbers.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11880954/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/

http://costofwar.com/en/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Y'all should eat my grits no cheese

It is two days after the GOP primary in Mississippi. We are still laughing at Mitt's attempt to cuddle up to us with cheesy grits and a few y'alls thrown in. In my area of Mississippi it is yaw'all(10 second word). Had he come here expecting us to be able to count to 20 without removing our shoes, he may have been taken a little bit more seriously. I am not sure if Mitt's grits ranks with Bush's "this part of the world" statement after Katrina but it ranks. Truthfully, I enjoy cheese in my grits along with garlic and red pepper. However, I do not think my love of grits, a bowl every morning, makes me Southern. Although I was born in Southern California and partially reared in Southern Wisconsin, I consider myself a full blown Mississippian. Along with keeping my grits to myself, I also speak without care of accent. The fact that I can tell you how to get from Memphis to the Coast without using the interstate or Google says I am from Mississippi.