Skip to main content

Boehner loves school vouchrs

I had intended for today’s post to be some rant on the fakeness of the 112th Congress’ reading of the Constitution, however; I received a tweet late last night about Boehner’s support for school choice. My first thought was we have money for school vouchers but not healthcare? I was mystified. Publicly funding private schools mystifies me. School choice in my view is another way to say school vouchers. When a school accepts public funds it ceases to be private in my view. You,, in essence will have a public school that supports only one dynamic of the life that exists within a multicultural nation.

If parents wish to home school or private school their children, they have the right to do so. They do not have the right to use public funds to do so. Federal educational funds should be used to fund in full public schools that are open to the reality of America being a multicultural society of varying beliefs. We need every dollar available to be placed into our public school system. We are falling behind developed and developing nations in the education of our children. We do not have a national Math and Science plan in our public schools despite NCLB. We have taken vocational educational out of public schools in favor of allowing for profit schools to give those skills to our high school graduates at a cost.

We have become a nation of short-term thinkers who only value the immediate gratification of an extra dollar in our pocket. Countries in Europe offer to their high school level students opportunities that must be obtained in our community colleges or for profit schools. Those championing for vouchers are only thinking of the short-term gain of getting their child into a private school for a better education. We are setting ourselves up for failure by continuing to value profit over the benefits of education and by being selfish in our views.

We can not allow public funds to be funneled to private schools. Should we allow such actions to continue we are allowing for the continued dumbing down of America. This week two GOP representatives were not aware that they needed to be in chamber for the swearing in and not at a fundraiser. (Unless the money earned went into the pocket of someone who will not donate money to either of the two GOP representatives, it was a fundraiser. Forget what you heard.) We can not afford for America to be dumb downed. Do we expect to seriously be able to outsource to India the care of our elderly? In Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour chose to fund the penal system using funds that should have gone to improve and to maintain teachers for the schools in Mississippi. I would like to believe I am off base but there just seems to be an intent to create slave labor using the dumbing down method.


I ask, what happens if all public students attended private schools? You will begin to see the same issues that were seen at the public school. There is currently just as much bullying, drugs, alcohol at private schools as there is at public school. To be honest there may be more given the number of students of affluent families that attend private school. Carting public school children off to private schools voucher in hand is not the answer. The answer is multifaceted:
1) Fully fund NCLB
2) Parental involvement
3) Return to a system of universal values



A little light reading. As always check out the comments. I just love comments.

http://politicalirony.com/2010/01/16/the-dumbing-down-of-america/

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article15280.htm

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_choice

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/9/7/899983/-Haley-Barbour-Hoards-Stimulus-Money

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Y'all should eat my grits no cheese

It is two days after the GOP primary in Mississippi. We are still laughing at Mitt's attempt to cuddle up to us with cheesy grits and a few y'alls thrown in. In my area of Mississippi it is yaw'all(10 second word). Had he come here expecting us to be able to count to 20 without removing our shoes, he may have been taken a little bit more seriously. I am not sure if Mitt's grits ranks with Bush's "this part of the world" statement after Katrina but it ranks. Truthfully, I enjoy cheese in my grits along with garlic and red pepper. However, I do not think my love of grits, a bowl every morning, makes me Southern. Although I was born in Southern California and partially reared in Southern Wisconsin, I consider myself a full blown Mississippian. Along with keeping my grits to myself, I also speak without care of accent. The fact that I can tell you how to get from Memphis to the Coast without using the interstate or Google says I am from Mississippi.