Skip to main content

Happy Father's Day

Today the importance of fathers was not lost on me. My son, who has had many birthdays, turned 14 today. After getting a call from his father he remarked how it was the first time his birthday had been acknowledge. I replied son this is the first year you have not had an actual party but your birthday is always noted. He then tripped over himself to explain his comment. I simply said I love you for I understood how it felt to have your father take an interest in you.

I have yet to meet my biological father. The man I called Daddy was my stepfather. He married my mother when I was 7. He came into the relationship understanding he would have to be a father and an uncle to my mother’s niece. He watched over the two of us as if he had given birth to us. He was not put off by my grandmother, who insisted he was not a real man. She would say such things to my muscled step-father for he not only cooked and cleaned but he also took time to have tea with me and my dolls.

Knowing he was in my corner was the difference between my being in class and my succeeding in class. My childhood was not perfect. There was much pain. However, having Daddy active in my life made it better.

Happy Father’s Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pure Driven Snow in Mississippi

Why We Need More People of Color Writing Syfy

This weekend due to an enduring cough, I decided to binge watch Wayward Pines.  In truth, I actually need to binge on Game of Thrones but I shall save that binge($$$$$) for my birthday.  Let me not chase that rabbit for now.  Wayward Pines is one example of how having majority White writers of science fiction/fantasy continue to ignore the actual composition of Earth's population, the societal norms of those populations, and the ability of those populations to thrive outside of White intervention.

I am a lover of Fantasy and Science Fiction since childhood. What I have noted over the years is a common theme, humans(White people) have changed the environment to the point of either some horrifying human mutation or some climate apocalypse.  I often wonder why in these writings we don't see an evolution that leads to world peace.  Start Trek is one of the few that shows the possibility for humans after we  learn to work for peace not war.  However,  even Star Trek fails to accur…