Skip to main content

Another Failure in the Making

Frequent visitors to my blog are by now familiar with my constant speak on drugs and alcohol. I write,in almost every post, how I have a need for more alcohol and drugs to cope with the stupidity in government. Yet, I should make it known prior to today's posting that I do not abuse alcohol or use illicit drugs. My doctors are hard pressed to get me to take the medications they prescribe to me. When you read today's posting know that I am writing not as a user/abuser but as someone who fails to see the benefit of drug testing recipients of government financial assistance.

I have a busy morning so I shall keep this posting short and sweet. Simply I see this move to test as a waste of money. The capitalist in me translates a large welfare roll into less people to lower the rate of pay I make. The humanist in me questions how withholding government assistance to those who need it will help them get off whatever substance they are abusing. The rationalist in me asks, why not test them for alcohol abuse. Alcohol destroys more families and homes than any single illicit drug in America. The Christian in me wonders, why create a law that focuses on punishing someone, when The Lord says, "vengeance is mine". My thrifty soul wants to know if this law is penny wise while being pound foolish.

It is a disgrace that this "Christian" nation is now working so hard to oppress people out of fear that "God" will not provide for the needs of the nation. The number of people who are abusing the social welfare system or who are abusers of illicit substances does not constitute half of those receiving social welfare. Someone stated to me that he has to be drug tested to keep his job so why should those receiving public assistance be any different. I replied to him that I do not believe those on public assistance desire to keep receiving public assistance. Somewhere during the Reagan years a myth was started of how one could live the good life on public assistance. I ask of my readers please take the time to speak with someone who receives public assistance. It is not a plush lifestyle. I can not think of anyone who once received public assistance that desires to return to it.

We need to get from in front of the media and get out to meet our brothers and sisters in "Christ". We need to drop the thoughts of limitation and engage in the laws of abundance that will allow us to reach our full capacity. I write this as someone who although I do not abuse either alcohol or illicit drugs, I have had both to affect my life negatively. It was not until I learned to trust God, pray for the ones with addictions, and to focus more on my goals that I began to live a better life. Being the best me I can be has done more to lift my family than when I sought to punish them for their behaviors.


Summation:
I am not for refusing benefits to those who fail drug tests. It is not worth the money or the effort to tests for drugs. There is no huge savings to tax payers and the definitely no benefit to those who need temporary assistance. Testing for assistance will only lead to an increase in other social ills that we do not need or desire to see in our country, increased prison population.

Links:
http://bitly.com/kLb0ur
http://www.clasp.org/admin/site/publications/files/0520.pdf
http://1.usa.gov/lB2VCm
http://bitly.com/el0Llv
http://bitly.com/el0Llv (worth the read)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Y'all should eat my grits no cheese

It is two days after the GOP primary in Mississippi. We are still laughing at Mitt's attempt to cuddle up to us with cheesy grits and a few y'alls thrown in. In my area of Mississippi it is yaw'all(10 second word). Had he come here expecting us to be able to count to 20 without removing our shoes, he may have been taken a little bit more seriously. I am not sure if Mitt's grits ranks with Bush's "this part of the world" statement after Katrina but it ranks. Truthfully, I enjoy cheese in my grits along with garlic and red pepper. However, I do not think my love of grits, a bowl every morning, makes me Southern. Although I was born in Southern California and partially reared in Southern Wisconsin, I consider myself a full blown Mississippian. Along with keeping my grits to myself, I also speak without care of accent. The fact that I can tell you how to get from Memphis to the Coast without using the interstate or Google says I am from Mississippi.