Skip to main content

My anger has returned

I spent all of yesterday and much of today attempting to rid my mind of the many takes of bin Laden's death on which I could blog. Last night I resorted to rum and coke yet the Republican spin on bin Laden's death continued to swril in my head. The spin had me. I could not think. I could not see. I could barely hear. It is what I barely heard that finally allowed me to stop the spin. I heard the voice of my son telling me about his day at school. Oh happy, happy school daze it seems.

My son's voice came to me today during a conversation I was having with a girlfriend about the Republican spin of lies. I then told to her the story he told to me. My son told to me how he engaged his science teacher in a discussion about President Obama. At some point in the conversation my son said something to the effect of "President Obama does not own any oil rigs". His science teacher replied, " He does not own any oil rigs? What about the oil washing ashore in the Gulf?" I amazed myself by not cursing in front of my son. Instead I said, "What???!!!???" "Obama does not even own a vested intrests any any oil company let alone a rig. How crazy is your teacher?" Considering I have overlooked this teacher's views (i.e. global warming not being real and God created the world in 7 days) in the past, my response was a mild one.

I then explained to my son how at the time of the oil spill Obama had not been presidnet for even 2 years. I also explained how the paperwork from the agencies designed regualte offshore drilling was seemily correct for the 8 years prior to President Obama taking office. I then expalined how when Obama took office he did not have the time to go through the offshore drilling paperwork with a fine tooth comb. Given he does not have a degree in petroleum engineering it would not do much good for him to done so anyway. However, he did do what he could do as our president, he issue an moritorium on offshore drilling. However, the people and the Republican powers that be fought the moritorium. Sadly a few months after the moritorium was issues, a second rig exploded in the Gulf.

My son attends a school that does not have a dress code, yet wearing an Obama t-shirt can cause a child to be sent home. To say I live in a conservative area is an understatment. It amazes me that this school district has been able to produce students who score, consistently, above aveage on national standardize tests. It amazes me, these people have an education but still basically teach according to the bible in the public school system.

Whew!!! It feels good to have found my anger. I was worried that I had lost it. I shall work on gas prices and high speed rail, the dead horse I love to beat. Yes, my son regretted telling his day to me. However, he is well armed to deal with what he has to face at school.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/09/03/2nd-rig-blows-115875-22533081/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Wordy denial

I am writing a quick post about words. Words have been shown to cause harm in clinical studies. Jesus spoke of the harm that can come from words. However, this morning as I watched Fox and friends I heard nothing but denial. Their words have helped to increase gun sales, sale of gold, and to convince people in this nation that we were at war with Islam. Words matter. If we do not take this time to examine our words then we have an even greater tragedy on our hands. I am a mother. I am very careful of the words I use around children. I know first hand the impact of words. I had to take a stand within my family about racist speech around my son. It took disassociation to get them to understand how damaging such words are to a young mind. We can not allow this moment to pass. We must take a stand against hate speech. In my fascination with Nazi Germany, I learned that there was no initial overt hatred for Jewish people. It started as a snicker here, a comic there, a turn of the head,