Skip to main content

To the victor go the spoils

Last night as I prepared to work on my blog update about the Royal Wedding, I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with my son. In all things ADHD, I decided to write a quick blog about the nations of people of color and European wealth. Not really a far cry from my blog in the works about the Royal Wedding.

At the start of the movie, it is mentioned how Willie Wonka desired to build the largest Chocolate Factory in the world. The location for this factory was some Euro-centric country. Well the obvious thing to me in my limited knowledge of world exports is coca beans do not grow in Europe. If Willie is building the world’s largest Chocolate factory he must be importing a great amount of beans from the nations where they grow. Instead of manufacturing and processing the chocolate in the countries where the beans are grown he brings the chocolate back to his country to create jobs in his home country.

I am not opposing to creating jobs in one’s native country. I have as a personal goal to increase real environmentally friendly jobs in Mississippi. I am pointing out that the hypocrisy in calling nations Third World when they provide most of the natural resources that we use to create our own First World nations. They have stayed Third World at the global instance of First World nations. We did our best to keep China Third World.

I look at Haiti and the fact that it has been kept Third World after daring to revolt against a First World European nation. The Haiti we see today is the result of over a century of sanctions. Many South American countries without a European majority population are vilified in European media sources when they do not willingly turn over their natural resources at a discounted rate. When it seems that an African nation has stability and desires to spread that stability to other African nations, that nation has a mysterious uprising from within its borders. We even vilify China which beat out our attempts to keep it Third World.

Another thing of which I became aware as I watched the remake featuring Johnny Depp was the usage of people from warm climates to do the work. In the movie the people loved chocolate but had none where they lived. In exchange for being allowed to work with chocolate they left their homeland to work in another land where they were paid in chocolate. As a woman of black African heritage, the thoughts about how the Africans became enslaved by Europeans came to mind. Enough said.

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Facotory is what of my all time favorite movies. Last night as I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with my son, I enjoyed it more as I understood what Roald Dahl must have been trying to say in his day when he wrote the book. Am I saying anything new? No. Am I crazy? Well given my life it is very possible for me to be a stone cold nut. However, when the raw history of the world is supper imposed on the natural allocation of natural resources in the world it makes one wonder. I often wonder what makes a nation Third World if it contains most of the resources used by the world.




Links
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070515074810.htm
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PotatoHistory.htm
http://bit.ly/kI7fQ6 Diamond Production
http://www.dani2989.com/gold/goldprod2010gb.htm
http://www.goldsheetlinks.com/production.htm
http://www.food-dictionary.com/definition/cola-bean.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_bean#World_production
http://www.unctad.org/infocomm/anglais/cocoa/market.htm
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/coffee/map.html
http://www.coffeeterms.com/coffee-producing-countries.htm
http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/originsmap.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_production

Please remember the United States is the result of Native American extermination. I love my country. I am honest about how it came to be. I do not take pride in things I did not do and I do not continue to persecute others to achieve my own personal success. Manifest Destiny should be no country’s mode of operation. I cannot think of many Americans who would be happy with “to the victor go the spoils” if they were not the victors. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, my dear Christians. Until we step out on faith and show love for all we doom our species to extinction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Y'all should eat my grits no cheese

It is two days after the GOP primary in Mississippi. We are still laughing at Mitt's attempt to cuddle up to us with cheesy grits and a few y'alls thrown in. In my area of Mississippi it is yaw'all(10 second word). Had he come here expecting us to be able to count to 20 without removing our shoes, he may have been taken a little bit more seriously. I am not sure if Mitt's grits ranks with Bush's "this part of the world" statement after Katrina but it ranks. Truthfully, I enjoy cheese in my grits along with garlic and red pepper. However, I do not think my love of grits, a bowl every morning, makes me Southern. Although I was born in Southern California and partially reared in Southern Wisconsin, I consider myself a full blown Mississippian. Along with keeping my grits to myself, I also speak without care of accent. The fact that I can tell you how to get from Memphis to the Coast without using the interstate or Google says I am from Mississippi.