Skip to main content

Unions

Today as I sat in orientation to become a temporary Walmart employee I had the pleasure of listening to an anti-union ad. This video was played prior to the safety, lifting, or even the welcome to Walmart videos. Although I was not born in Mississippi my upbringing has given many Mississippian traits. One trait is a strong dislike of anyone attempting to snooker me into something. Even if it is something I am normally against such actions just make me want to go the opposite way.

I have not had the opportunity since college to join a union given I usually work as a corporate employee. Even when I could join a union I just could not see giving more of my paycheck to fight off a dismissal from my employment. Call me slow and trusting but I felt the employment laws on the books were enough to protect me as long as I upheld my end of the employment bargain. Note: I am a naturally thrifty person.

The video today was something of an insult to my intelligence. I felt violated in some unnamed manner. As I watched the corporate propaganda I felt a need to join a union. Only the thought that I could not remember the low wage I was being paid kept me from donating a portion of my unseen paycheck to a union on the spot.

At the end of the day, I shall not stop shopping at Walmart and I am too cheap to join a union to do for me what current employment laws already do. I am still of the mindset that if all parties do as agreed there is no need for a union. I can not force a business to hire me and nor can I be forced to be a patron. In America we have choices and must be adult enough to accept the results.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pure Driven Snow in Mississippi

Not another gun violence blog post

It is simple in my view, we have a problem.  We must ask why are assault weapons, weapons that spray when fired, required in civilian life.  I am not against gun ownership. I do question those who are arming themselves with weapons more suited for battle than stopping home invasion.  Are these people expecting the American government to attack them? Why?

As details emerge from this latest mass shooting, it becomes more clear, we have a problem that is not solved by more guns.