Skip to main content

P.A.P.P.Y.

Warning this post may be a bit offensive. This topic came to me as I contacted ministers about joining a protest. I received the message that the head office would not want the minister to support any type of political event. After getting the message the word PAPPY(Punk Assed Prechers Pimping You) came to me. What if Martin Luther King or Joesph Lowery had such fears? I was angry and totally disappointed.

I was not angry or disappointed out of some naivete about the laws governing 501c. I was upset and concerned because I had no one willing to risk the 501c to improve the community that hosts the church he/she oversees. This lack of willingness to risk 501c standing hurts poor communities where the church is still the focal point.

It is amazing to me that these religious leaders take money from the poor but will not stand up to support the poor. The rally yesterday(Save the American Dream Moveon.org) was about more than supporting Wisconsin. It was about keeping our government from taking away our right to assemble or to form organizations based on shared interests. Walker's assault on unions opens the door to prevent any group that is not liked by a particular elected official to be broken up. If we do not stand for the unions then the next thing to go will be the local garden club if it dared to speak out on soil contamination. If you feel I went way out on a limb for that connection remember I am amsmadwoman.

Seriously, these religious leaders afraid to speak-out on behalf of their members is concerning and sickening. The 501c laws have basically made it impossible for poor communities to form a voice. These communities, without organization, are basically disenfranchised via the system. I am not calling for a repeal of the 501c laws. I am calling for religious leaders whose membership is made up of mostly poor to working poor people to drop the 501c status in favor of supporting their congregations.

We have a systematic attack on the poor and the working poor in the United States. The middle class ( $250K/yr & up) is being given all manner of support. The issue is the middle class is disappearing into the upper class or working poor or poor. The working poor and poor is growing exponentially faster than the upper class. We need to establish, now, the means to provide for the growing needs of the poor and the working poor. Currently our government at the state and national level are only concerned with finding the means to support the needs of the upper class ( i.e. trickle down economics and extension of the 2001 tax cuts).

We must take a stand. We need the religious leaders to stop pimping the communities they say they serve and to start taking a stand for those communities. When we live in fear of our government we are no longer free. The lives of those who have died in foreign wars to "protect" our freedoms will be a waste if we live in fear of exercising our rights. Take a stand. If you have a religious leader tell him/her to take a stand to help your community. I am not asking anyone to do something I myself have not done. I have,after years of fighting the call to action, downsized my life to bare essentials. I would rather work to help those in need than to continue off their backs feed.

Some links I have enjoyed:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2004-06-08-low-wage-working-poor_x.htm

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ssw/faculty/profiles/Garfinkel-book.pdf

http://www.liberalslikechrist.org/about/workingclass.html

http://www.qualityinfo.org/olmisj/ArticleReader?itemid=00006785

***** http://www.workingpoorfamilies.org/ *******

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/13/obama-budget-proposal-cut_n_822689.html

http://bit.ly/dHi5Ux Middle Class Underclass
http://huff.to/eQyKz3 Obama not into the poor
http://huff.to/hoUiBM Shrinking Middle Class Photos slow loading but worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Y'all should eat my grits no cheese

It is two days after the GOP primary in Mississippi. We are still laughing at Mitt's attempt to cuddle up to us with cheesy grits and a few y'alls thrown in. In my area of Mississippi it is yaw'all(10 second word). Had he come here expecting us to be able to count to 20 without removing our shoes, he may have been taken a little bit more seriously. I am not sure if Mitt's grits ranks with Bush's "this part of the world" statement after Katrina but it ranks. Truthfully, I enjoy cheese in my grits along with garlic and red pepper. However, I do not think my love of grits, a bowl every morning, makes me Southern. Although I was born in Southern California and partially reared in Southern Wisconsin, I consider myself a full blown Mississippian. Along with keeping my grits to myself, I also speak without care of accent. The fact that I can tell you how to get from Memphis to the Coast without using the interstate or Google says I am from Mississippi.