Skip to main content

The Digital Unification - Death in a Digital World.

Words sometimes escape me although I log unknown 140 char tweets almost every day of the week.   The only word to never fail me is love. Love is my response to all things.   No matter how horrific my response is love. 
I shall expound later my thoughts found in this short missive.  Last night, I learned someone with whom I had been online gaming for almost a year was one of the five officers killed in Dallas.  As gamers we don’t ask if your avi is really you or your government name.  I play as a man of color for there is no female of color avi.  It is an accepting community.  We talk smack but our world is the game.  Our alliance is our family.  We share bits of our lives but mostly we are there to escape.
Last night, this player’s mother, understanding gaming culture, contacted us to let us know her son wouldn’t be there anymore.   We send prayers to her and her family.  We give thanks she thought of us. We do keep tabs on one another and worry if someone is offline for 2 days or more.  We are a digital family.
This player and I had work together to slay dragons and to steal cups.  We had plotted how to not allow our rss to be stolen.  We blasted the gemmers while owning to the fact we also had $$$$ to spend.  Mostly we gamed to escape a world that filled each day with hate like an addict filling his or her arm with a deadly drug. 
We were/are the dreamers.  I’ve never hidden the fact the closet I come to worshiping a deity is when I say Gene Roddenberry’s name.   I hold to a belief Star Trek is real.  Violence should not be our go to option for resolution of our anger.  We as humans can love one another freely to evolve into beings capable of building starships that move at warp speed.  Food, shelter, and clothing are no longer a struggle for any human.  All of Earth has been formed into an agrarian paradise with air made pure.  Yes, I am a middle-aged woman with fantasies.
If you find my fantasies strange or crazy as yourself why.  Why do you accept humans killing humans as a norm?  Why do you accept smog as a norm? Why do you accept hunger as a norm? It is my view those things are the abnormalities that are counterproductive for our continued survival as a species.  We need to rethink what we are willing to accept as our norms.    

Roddenberry has spoken: 
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.

The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope that 'Star Trek' has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities.

“If man is to survive, he will have learned to take a delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a delight, part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear.”
“Matter of internal security - the age-old cry of the oppressor.
Picard” 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pure Driven Snow in Mississippi

Why We Need More People of Color Writing Syfy

This weekend due to an enduring cough, I decided to binge watch Wayward Pines.  In truth, I actually need to binge on Game of Thrones but I shall save that binge($$$$$) for my birthday.  Let me not chase that rabbit for now.  Wayward Pines is one example of how having majority White writers of science fiction/fantasy continue to ignore the actual composition of Earth's population, the societal norms of those populations, and the ability of those populations to thrive outside of White intervention.

I am a lover of Fantasy and Science Fiction since childhood. What I have noted over the years is a common theme, humans(White people) have changed the environment to the point of either some horrifying human mutation or some climate apocalypse.  I often wonder why in these writings we don't see an evolution that leads to world peace.  Start Trek is one of the few that shows the possibility for humans after we  learn to work for peace not war.  However,  even Star Trek fails to accur…