Skip to main content

Half-baked in the South: The Usual Suspects

There are some things that seem to be rather innocuous but for some reason have become a focus  for Southern defiance.  President Obama asked for U.S. flags to be at half mast until 12/9/2013 in honor of Mandela.  However, there are those in the Southern reigion of the United States who find the request to be the assertion of some Federal overreach.  These people have responded in typical fashion. 

Pickens County, SC typical.

 My wonderful governor Phil Bryant of Ms, also typical. 
20h
Flags will continue to fly at half-staff tomorrow to mark Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

If you live outside Mississippi or the South you may not be aware of the implication of Phil Bryant's tweet but the subtle nod to the defiant hard core racist did not go unnoticed by me.   I was immediately reminded of the Confederate Battle flag being flown over the Mississippi Supreme Court when it was announced  Governor Phil Bryant had successful prevent the establishment of a healthcare exchange in Mississippi.    Once again I am sad to see another display of petty behavior from my governor.

It is especially petty given Mr. Mandela's legacy of forgiving past harms to achieve a better future.  Mississippi has a racial history that can make the apartheid in South Africa appear tame.  I was a teenager unaware of apartheid in South Africa when I saw this video in the 1980's.   I wondered where in Mississippi was it filmed.  It was a moment before I realized it was not Mississippi.  At the time of this video, there were people in Mississippi still living under these conditions.  I attended school with their children.  Given Mississippi's history, lowering the flags until 12/9 is the least that can be done.  

I don't have generational hatred for things done before I was born.  There are some elected to office whose main intent is to right the horrors of slavery and Jim Crow by becoming the very racists they detest.  Those behaviors are not helpful.  I dislike the continued racial and economic oppression I see today in Mississippi.  This oppression is not as blatant as in the days of old.  These days skirting of regulations, delay of rights, and subtle public nods to racist actions are the norm. Until the people of the South come to reconcile their Christ with their ancestral hatred, the South will not live up to its potential. 

It is time the South gets over the fact a Black man sits in the White House.  It is time the South stops hurting all of its citizens in futile attempts to oppress Black people and other minorities.  If you think I am joking look at the response to the increase in the Latino community in the South.  The recent desire to enact strict voting regulations is not because of Blacks or Native Americans but the politically vocal Latino community.  These types of behaviors of oppression highlight why the South is slow to rise to its full potential.  Have I given up hope for Mississippi or the South? No, I know there are many progressive people in Mississippi and the South working for change. It is just a same we are having to deal with apartheid tactics until the change comes. 

The elected leaders in the South would do well to fly the flag at half-mast until 12/9.  It is good to remind people how to let go of hate for things done in the past.  We don't need for hatred to be a thing of our present lives.  It is time for us to heal.  We can do it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

OWS dead? Again?

I am so angry at this moment I cannot type straight. http://townhall.com/columnists/susanbrown/2011/11/30/we_are_not_the_99_percent/page/full/ I am sick of false stories planted in the media to kill a real people's movement (OWS). OWS is not dead nor is it dying. Please read the article. We must get more real stories into the media about Occupy. This woman has not been to Occupy she is only repeating a lie created in the MSM to kill Occupy. The people of Occupy are too busy attempting to make a change to think of orgy and the like. MSM is being irresponsible to all at Occupy as Occupiers. There are those at Occupy camps who are not Occupiers but people intent on killing the movement by any means necessary. Please spread the good of Occupy. We must be the media until the media reports truth.