Skip to main content

Wal-mart, My Life, My Money

I did not shop at Wal-Mart this Black Friday.  Do not clap for if you note in my blog's header I state I am a Wal-Mart shopper.  I, a liberal's liberal, love making money. I also worked for Wal-Mart for a brief period of time.  I have spent the last few days reading the great shop locally and support small biz mantra.  I also heard just how evil is Wal-Mart.  Today I write of my view of Wal-Mart, personal economy, and action that matters.

I first ask my readers to speak with the pre-1992 Wal-Mart associates about the company.  They have great stories to tell.  Sam Walton had a great idea.  He supported American manufacturing when possible, believed in customer service and allowed his employees to reap a portion of the dividends of the company's profit.  During my brief time at Wal-Mart I learned a few things:  1. You cannot fire at will. (Well known lazy fuck-offs were given the opportunity for occupational rehabilitation) 2. They take discrimination against homosexuals seriously (The deep-South store where I worked only lacked one disco ball from a full fledged Pride celebration) 3. Profit-sharing checks based on store's performance were still being given (Although the calculation of the checks had been modified since 1992) 4. The pay was .25 higher than the other low skilled entry level positions in the area.

I know Wal-Mart does not pay enough at the hourly level to support a family without government assistance.  The low pay in conjunction with  inability to fire lazy fuck-offs and health issue was one reason I turned down an hourly management position.  However, Wal-Mart does allow me to have access to fresh fruits and vegetables at a low price.  I am also able to buy at a low cost the basics non-food items I need for my family.  The local stores were I live charge more for the things I need for my family.  The ones that charge lower have items that are suspect.  In 30 years the only reason it is cheaper to not drive 80 miles to the large town to shop is because of Wal-Mart and internet access.  In rural Mississippi shopping locally has not been the promise land. 

The local stores were charging more before Wal-Mart came to town.  The owners paid low wages and to the profits shopping at the high-end department stores.  The downtown area failed to grow not because Wal-Mart came to town but because the skilled labor jobs left the town.  In fact Wal-Mart had to agree to lower employee wages before being allowed to open a store (pre 1992 days).  The current  local retail businesses operate with a "share cropping" mentality in regards to their employees.  There are no profit sharing opportunities, no health benefits, or even paid days off. 

I support small businesses.  I enjoy shopping locally, especially for my food.  I understand it is senseless for a CEO (i.e. Wal-Mart) to earn 1K times the average hourly wage in his/her corporation.  However, blaming Wal-Mart does not solve the issue.  Fighting Wal-Mart takes away energy better used to form corporations or co-ops that offer a livable wage, health insurance, educational reimbursement, paid time off, etc....  Fighting Wal-Mart takes away energy better used in getting Congress to enact livable wage legislation that has a mandatory COLA.  Fighting Wal-Mart takes away energy better used in getting Congress to strengthen the Affordable Care Act into something that resembles the single payer option President Obama actually wanted.  We must move beyond protest and into action. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Y'all should eat my grits no cheese

It is two days after the GOP primary in Mississippi. We are still laughing at Mitt's attempt to cuddle up to us with cheesy grits and a few y'alls thrown in. In my area of Mississippi it is yaw'all(10 second word). Had he come here expecting us to be able to count to 20 without removing our shoes, he may have been taken a little bit more seriously. I am not sure if Mitt's grits ranks with Bush's "this part of the world" statement after Katrina but it ranks. Truthfully, I enjoy cheese in my grits along with garlic and red pepper. However, I do not think my love of grits, a bowl every morning, makes me Southern. Although I was born in Southern California and partially reared in Southern Wisconsin, I consider myself a full blown Mississippian. Along with keeping my grits to myself, I also speak without care of accent. The fact that I can tell you how to get from Memphis to the Coast without using the interstate or Google says I am from Mississippi.