Skip to main content

Post election? Mississippi full hog



After many months of laws designed to obstruct voting and billions spent on maintaining a racist media narrative, President Obama is re-elected as president of the United States of America. The response from the state of Mississippi to this historic re-election: 400 students at Ole Miss hold a protest over the results of the election.  I had two thoughts: Thanks students at Ole Miss for enhancing the image of Mississippi in not only local and national news but in international news as well.  The GOP accomplished its goal to take back this nation.  We were taken back to a time before the 1960’s.  When will we get “it” in Mississippi?

The” it” we need to get in Mississippi is part of  my takeaways from this election. 

Our image in the international media does matter.  The chances of our children working outside of the United States increases as companies continue to grow in being multi-national corporations (e.g. Wal-Mart) the protest of the election by 400 students at Ole Miss makes about as much sense as the protest of James Meredith being a student at Ole Miss.  President Obama’s election simply says the vote of Americans is not for sale and nor will it be denied.  Yet, these students at one of Mississippi’s premier universities protested?

The writing has been on the wall for several years.  Mississippians need to understand the writing.  President Obama won the election twice without the South.  We mute our voices in the political discourse by allowing a minority of our population to frame our image.  We must become a more informed voting population in Mississippi as well as in the South in general.  We must allow race to be less of a factor when voting.

When people, on public assistance, vote for the person who runs on the policy to reduce public benefits, racism or an uninformed populace is the root of such voting.  Either option is losing for the South and Mississippi.  When independent living Southerners are willing to become dependent on corporations for their lives and livelihoods it is worrisome.  At some point the interdependency of government, has become a bad idea in the South.   Why have we forgotten that in America, we the humans are the government not corporations?

During my travels around Mississippi in 2011, I observed a disturbing trend amongst all of the people, Americans desiring not to be involved in the function of our government.  These same people bemoan the laws designed to improve the finances of corporations while decimating household finances.  These people would say they are not experts or had enough money to be more involved.  If we continue to allow the “experts” to make decisions we will soon have in America a monarchy of corporate heirs.  It is time we become engaged in the political process in America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Y'all should eat my grits no cheese

It is two days after the GOP primary in Mississippi. We are still laughing at Mitt's attempt to cuddle up to us with cheesy grits and a few y'alls thrown in. In my area of Mississippi it is yaw'all(10 second word). Had he come here expecting us to be able to count to 20 without removing our shoes, he may have been taken a little bit more seriously. I am not sure if Mitt's grits ranks with Bush's "this part of the world" statement after Katrina but it ranks. Truthfully, I enjoy cheese in my grits along with garlic and red pepper. However, I do not think my love of grits, a bowl every morning, makes me Southern. Although I was born in Southern California and partially reared in Southern Wisconsin, I consider myself a full blown Mississippian. Along with keeping my grits to myself, I also speak without care of accent. The fact that I can tell you how to get from Memphis to the Coast without using the interstate or Google says I am from Mississippi.