Skip to main content

Why We Need More People of Color Writing Syfy

This weekend due to an enduring cough, I decided to binge watch Wayward Pines.  In truth, I actually need to binge on Game of Thrones but I shall save that binge($$$$$) for my birthday.  Let me not chase that rabbit for now.  Wayward Pines is one example of how having majority White writers of science fiction/fantasy continue to ignore the actual composition of Earth's population, the societal norms of those populations, and the ability of those populations to thrive outside of White intervention.

I am a lover of Fantasy and Science Fiction since childhood. What I have noted over the years is a common theme, humans(White people) have changed the environment to the point of either some horrifying human mutation or some climate apocalypse.  I often wonder why in these writings we don't see an evolution that leads to world peace.  Start Trek is one of the few that shows the possibility for humans after we  learn to work for peace not war.  However,  even Star Trek fails to accurately portray the population ratio.  If you watch, on any ship the ratio is normally 20/1 White/person of color.   That ratio isn't supported by current or even historical populations.  However, that ratio is supported by the results of colonization of the planet by White people.  It reflects the genocide perpetrated on Earth by White people.  In light of the numerous genocides, yes, I can grasp the concept of 20/1 White/PoC ratio.  Please note, I continue to watch/read Fantasy and Science Fiction.  We need more people of color to write for these genres.

People of color are less likely to create scenes where people breakup into small groups when facing a clear and present danger.  It is 2016 but collectivism is still found within the communities of people of color.  It is a common joke among people of color when the characters in current mainstream books/films seek to split up when facing the Predator or Jason.  Ask any person of color about such scenes and you will hear, " White people crazy."  If these genres are to survive it is important to create scenes to which the reader/viewer can relate.

Personally, I cannot relate to needing a White savior to get me out of a mess created by a White person.  My people have been surviving messes created by White people  for centuries.  It is an insult of my intelligence and of those who have come before me to continue to push the idea of a White savior.  There are tech advances in India, China, Korea, and on the African continent.  I have found in my work it is often immigrants from those areas who help take something from an idea to a reality. It is only constant wars that retard the advancement of what we call "Third World Nations".  Wars that are often started by First World nations(e.g. France).   If you think to check me,  think of Iran(which is near White).  The push to keep Iran from having technology is its own fear based industry.  Yet  Israel, which is White, is given government (US) funding to acquire tech while killing Palestinians(PoC).

We need more people of color to write Fantasy and Science Fiction.  We now have the platform for distribution of products outside the normal distribution channels.  If we don't write then we will continue to not be erased from history ( the builders of the pyramids) and only 1/20 of mankind in the future.  Control doesn't happen by the sword but by the pen.  Now back to finishing the last episode of Wayward Pines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

OWS dead? Again?

I am so angry at this moment I cannot type straight. http://townhall.com/columnists/susanbrown/2011/11/30/we_are_not_the_99_percent/page/full/ I am sick of false stories planted in the media to kill a real people's movement (OWS). OWS is not dead nor is it dying. Please read the article. We must get more real stories into the media about Occupy. This woman has not been to Occupy she is only repeating a lie created in the MSM to kill Occupy. The people of Occupy are too busy attempting to make a change to think of orgy and the like. MSM is being irresponsible to all at Occupy as Occupiers. There are those at Occupy camps who are not Occupiers but people intent on killing the movement by any means necessary. Please spread the good of Occupy. We must be the media until the media reports truth.