Skip to main content

Nigger Please..Seriously, please get a grip

Okay, I am a day late and several dollars short in watching Django Unchained. Although I normally avoid Tarantino's films because of the level of violence, I felt compelled to watch this movie. I remembered the biggest thing of the movie was Spike Lee's criticism of the movie.  There were also concerns over the usage of the word nigger in the movie.  If you follow my blog then you know, I am not oversensitive and am willing to type the word nigger in my blog.  Having seen the movie, something Mr. Lee stated he would not do, I regret not having seen it at the movie theater.  In truth, I regret not having the money to see it at the theater at the time of its release.  I can only imagine the laughter of the theater patrons. 

Mr. Lee would be well served to watch the movie before he makes any such statements in the future.  I am the great-great granddaughter of a slave.  My great-grandmother was born in 1865.  I live in Mississippi on land that once housed my enslaved ancestors.  I am the result of a slave owner impregnating a slave child on his farm.  All of that said, I found no offense in Django.  Maybe my money is too short for me to be offend by a movie.  Maybe I am more offended by the shenanigans of the Treyvon Martin case. Maybe I am offended by those faking outrage from their NYC high-rise.  Time for some people to get a grip and not a gripe.

Slavery was not a mockery in this movie although the movie was funny.  Slavery was not presented as something wonderful as shown in old Disney movies.  The actual horror of slavery was presented in this movie without beating the hell out of present day American Whites.  It is my hope that this film helped others to understand the legacy of slavery that exists in 2013 America.  Barack Obama is having a hard time as president because of the institution of slavery in America. 

"Nigger" in the White House is blinding many actual intelligent Americans to logic.   I read daily of the GOP denouncing their policies in an attempt to get the nigger out of the White House.  I digress, my point is the usage of "nigger" is not a reason to not watch the movie.    Although nigger was said often in this movie, it was said less than  heard in the average rap song.  Also, unlike the average rap song, it was used as it was meant, derogatorily.  I discourage my children from using the phrase "my nigga" given the history of Blacks in America.  I am amazed at the dejection amongst some Whites over the injustice of not being able to freely say "nigger".  It is my hope those who have seen Django Unchained walked away with a greater sense of what "nigger" really means.  I hope Blacks no longer say "my nigga" and that Whites are no longer dismayed over not being able to freely say "nigger". 

In America today we have real things over which we can all be offended.  I am offended by the shell game I am seeing on the Gulf Coast with money from the BP oil spill settlement.  I am offended by the usage of public funds to pay for charter schools.  (Google education Jim Crowe era).  I am offended by the leasing of public lands for drilling.  I am offended by the continued protection of corporations by our elected officials at the expense of the lives of the poor. I am offended by the low level of funds in my checking account.   I am not offended by history.  History happened.  We need to learn from history and not allow it to be repeated in any form. 


http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/04/spike-lee-s-dissing-of-django-unchained-earns-both-ire-and-indifference.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_15677_the-9-most-racist-disney-characters.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at protest marches.   We would be shot before the

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discovery .  Guys chill out ,  future  happens . 

Y'all should eat my grits no cheese

It is two days after the GOP primary in Mississippi. We are still laughing at Mitt's attempt to cuddle up to us with cheesy grits and a few y'alls thrown in. In my area of Mississippi it is yaw'all(10 second word). Had he come here expecting us to be able to count to 20 without removing our shoes, he may have been taken a little bit more seriously. I am not sure if Mitt's grits ranks with Bush's "this part of the world" statement after Katrina but it ranks. Truthfully, I enjoy cheese in my grits along with garlic and red pepper. However, I do not think my love of grits, a bowl every morning, makes me Southern. Although I was born in Southern California and partially reared in Southern Wisconsin, I consider myself a full blown Mississippian. Along with keeping my grits to myself, I also speak without care of accent. The fact that I can tell you how to get from Memphis to the Coast without using the interstate or Google says I am from Mississippi.