Skip to main content

Active reading skills

I have yet to venture to any Tea Party sites tonight or today.  I am sure if I were to go to such sites, I would hear the ills of social welfare with justification being this story, http://www.inquisitr.com/641849/tsarnaev-welfare-family-collected-at-least-100k-in-benefits-report/.   Yeah, I did not use bitly.   It is late and I worked all morning and night. 

My point in writing tonight before I hit the hay is please read the article.  We need to use active reading skills as we browse the web for news.

What I took away from the article:

It is good this nation which has benefited much from the resources of other nations helps those seeking asylum.
The family averaged 10K a year in social benefits for 10 years.  I challenge anyone to live on 10K a year. 
It is sad we have people in this nation of immigrants blind to how this nation has prospered via the resources of other nations. 



I am not happy these young men chose to bite the hands that fed them, I am saying let's not throw the baby out with the water.  Two or nineteen people should not change who we are.  Let's remain true to ourselves and our nation.  Ignore sensationalism in  journalism. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just hanging with friends

Sometimes when I have enough of my dry county life, I head to Jackson to take in the sights and sounds of the big city. I am posting some pics I took on one such visit to Jackson. I am still learning how to be better at video. I hope to have it right before son graduates from high school. If not I shall have it ready in time for my first grandchild's Ph.D. ceremony.

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at pro...

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discover...