Skip to main content

Tiger Mom

This posting is pure justification of my parenting. The issue of parenting arose today during a discussion during lunch with some high-level thinkers about children in the public school system. I have been parenting for several years now. One thing I always let a child know is I am not his/her friend. I am mommy. Mommy means I shall love you no matter what you do or what is done to you. Mommy means if you call me at 3 AM you will find I am already on my way to you. Mommy means I am not asking for pay for anything I do for you. Mommy also means I treat you in a manner where you will be able to be interdependent, to maintain confidence in your decisions, and able to give unconditional love to another. Friends(BFFs) come and go over the course of a lifetime, mommy is always there. When I make such a commitment, I have expectations.

I do not accept delinquent behaviors from children. I am not a tiger parent, I am a strict parent. I am open to children watching television on non-school nights. I am open to a child deciding what he/she would like to do with his/her life as long as it is positive and productive. I encourage sports, physical activity, and music appreciation. I myself am an avid gamer so it would be hypocritical for me to deny gaming to a child. Yet, I set boundaries on various activities (i.e. television, music genres, video gaming, and etc...). I have been this way for 20 years. I grew up in such an environment.

As an adult I came to understand I was not missing much by not being able to watch Foxy Brown as a child. The only thing I was missing by not eating all of the sugar I desired as a child was the excess baggage in my trunk. When I think of my childhood, although not rosy, I did benefit from having a clear and understood set of boundaries. My parents did not give up when I tested those boundaries. Part of the problem we have in today's society and schools is parents giving up. We as parents must reconnect with why we chose to become parents. We must set boundaries that allow our children to form their own independent views(trust me it is easier typed than done) while establishing a sense of security in the children.

Ok, I am done. I could not rant long. Must take son to dentist. It is not being a tiger mom to care enough about your child to lay the ground work now for him/her to have a successful and enjoyable life as an adult.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just hanging with friends

Sometimes when I have enough of my dry county life, I head to Jackson to take in the sights and sounds of the big city. I am posting some pics I took on one such visit to Jackson. I am still learning how to be better at video. I hope to have it right before son graduates from high school. If not I shall have it ready in time for my first grandchild's Ph.D. ceremony.

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at pro...

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discover...