Skip to main content

Organizing an art form

This morning the art of organizing became a life lesson for me. I have worked as a project manager in another lifetime. However I was working with people who shared more than a common goal. We were are all technical people(geeks). Political organizing is different. It is really different when working with a diverse group of people as liberals often do.

My passion for progressive change in Mississippi is not enough to overcome the problems of disorganization. This morning I learned a few home truths of organizing in a liberal political environment.

Communication
Communication
Communication
Plan for the unexpected
Work with those who understand the importance of the cause

The rally planned for Gulfport did not turn out as desired. The responsibility rests on my shoulders. I now understand the importance of communication in organizing. It is important to communicate clearly the objective. It is important to clearly communicate expectations of those involved. It is important to listen to what is being said by all involved.

Planning for the unexpected is a must. This morning I had planned to be in Gulfport to handle anything that came up short. Because of disorganization at my job, I was not able to be in Gulfport to handle any fallout. I needed a backup for the backup.

Luckily for me I did have someone who is dedicated to the cause of getting a progressive economic message out to the people. I am thankful for his intervention.

My goal now is to find 10 more people such as him. I know 10 people such as him will return the Coast to it's progressive roots. Today's lesson was well learned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just hanging with friends

Sometimes when I have enough of my dry county life, I head to Jackson to take in the sights and sounds of the big city. I am posting some pics I took on one such visit to Jackson. I am still learning how to be better at video. I hope to have it right before son graduates from high school. If not I shall have it ready in time for my first grandchild's Ph.D. ceremony.

Black Lightning is more than ready for prime time

Black Lightning It is finally here.   I do mean finally for I have been waiting for seems to be ages (1977).   I am calling for a second season having only watched the first two episodes.   I am not sure of the level of involvement Tony Isabella & Trevor Von Eeden in the production of each episode.     The first two I enjoyed, did I say that already?   The first two episodes seems to have been packed with every issue seen in mainstream media and think pieces regarding the Black community.   This posting is not a think piece. It is my piss piece.   Before I touch on the piss, thanks, many thanks, to Salim and Mara Akil for making it happen. Black Lighting   opens with a Black parent, once again, having to bail a child out of jail for exercising his/her right of protest in the USA. We need to question why peaceful protests with no guns see protestors arrested. Please do not take I am saying people of color should have guns at pro...

White Boys Whine

Quick  and dirty   Star Trek  Discovery  is everything  I  thought  it would  be.  It is my hope the White  boys  chill the fuck out .  There will be a White male captain .   The Black  woman  will be of a lowered  status.  White  boys  are you appeased ? My personal  view fuck White  boys who had their dicks in a vise  over women  of color  at the helm of a fictional  space vessel.  I shall watch  Star Trek  Discovery .  I shall pay the fee to CBS Access  with joy. If you wanted to watch OITNB you paid  Netflix . Overall  I look  forward  to the day a fictional  show  that features  women  of color  in prominent  positions  doesn't  freak out White males.  They were  so freaked  out  they compared  The Orville  to Star Trek  Discover...